Here's some results from a couple tests, concerning the use of black Permatex.
This is a pic of the permatex on a tire that I almost tore in two trying to see if the permatex had stuck to it. I just globbed a bit on it and let it cure over nite. It is stuck like chuck, won't come off.
And here's a short lil' video testing some black Jag 4 gear wheels that I used. I'm sure there are better application methods but all I did was sparingly put the Permatex on the wheel with a toothpick, put the tire on and cleaned up the squish out on the back side with a Q-tip. Let it cure over nite.
I started at 6.2 volts and took it up to 22.7vdc. No loosening of the tire. I'm happy .
I'm pretty sure the chrome was the culprit on the previous test but will be testing further.
After you apply the permatex and mount the tire. Spin the tire a full turn to even out the glue. Then clean up the glue that seeps out around the bead.
good news at last. looks like a run to the auto parts store is in my near future.
could you be more specific about exactly which black Permatex? the number on the tube? there are a couple I found online.
It's not actually "Permatex", sorry, my mistake. It acts just like Permatex though, that I've used before, I got confused. I bought my tube at the hardware store about 3 years ago when installing a pellet stove. I don't normally shop with Amazon but here's a link where you can read some reviews.
I think its working very well. Its a very sticky consistency, the tires stayed on at 14 volt blasts of power. Did up the third set tonight and will start rolling on test passes mid week. I think this was a real good tip. Thank you Sir
Guys, Maybe this was brought up before??? But I've used Pematex Windshield and Glass Sealer (Flowable Silicone) with good success. I hope this might help?
I have some of that, will try mounting some tires with it and post the results.
The flowable silicone is what I have used for a long time, but I found that it won't hold on an Inline Comp or better build. That's when I switched to the IC 2000 and have had better results, but the tires will still break loose on an Inline Comp + build. 4 Gears do better mostly because I am usually stretching the tire on an oversized rim. I am experimenting with some hard compound silicone slip ons now. They are hard to work with and they lose a lot of grip over the softer compound for obvious reasons. Silli foams are the way to go but they are pricey and only a few options. I am paying close attention to the testing going on here. It would be great to be able to use slip ons without slinging them off mid race. Thanks for sharing guys!
Last Edit: Apr 27, 2020 14:37:15 GMT -7 by jjwallace
I had one tire that let loose tonight. The others are staying very well under full load. This was the first axle set if that means anything and was only one tire. I will redo both tires. Im thinking right along with Dave, faster than 25 mph your up at the limit of the bond with slipons and glue. Next might be contact cement. Trouble is your working with at least one very smooth surface and the rim you can only scuff so much. I have taken an exacto and scratched perpendicular lines on the rim in effort to gain adhesion. Not much more than sand paper and a good cleaning on the silicone tire. I clean with Xylene as it is a reducer for silicone.