Trying out a tbolt type method on a four gear top plate. Definitely takes the wobble out of the last gear. I got a few more ideas to try ,including Jeff's screw and washer set up.
For now this was just some scrap I had sitting on the bench...
On the first one I wasn't sure exactly where I was headed. Originally number 3 gear had popped out ,so I added a thinner brass rod to the tbolt and planned on using it as a keeper for the gear. After it was done and the gear was tight I seen that wasn't really necessary. Its made out of brass tubing . The brass tube is a snug fit for the top plate hole where the rivit is removed from holding the last gear.
On the first version I simply pushed the tbolt in place and cut the rod on the bottom side of the plate. The cut smashes the tube and holds the tbolt in place.
The second one came out alot nicer. For the top of the tbolt I used a bigger tube this time and smashed it flat. The bigger size allowed me to drill a hole for the intersecting brass tube. I also cut the brass tube off square on this one and used a brass body pin to hold it in place.
Absolutely you may ask. The whole job was done with dupli color shake and shoot. I did a couple rust repairs the last two weeks and used the left over stuff. I originally used some rustoleum primer but the dupli color didn't get along with it for what ever reason. I stripped it down and resprayed it without primer. I always use primer but this came out really nice with out it. I did scuff the body and washed it a couple times with dawn dish soap before I sprayed it. Now I just hope I can get it to run as good as it looks.