Hey Bill, The axles, I just used some hollow brass stock and smashed it flat where I soldered. The first two I made I had some plastic tube i got in a gift exchange, not sure the type of plastic. I used a center punch to flare the brass tube on the ends to hold the wheels on. They fit snug and didn't want to turn.
I wanted to find something that would turn freely. The last set as Al noticed are cut down Aurora rims. Their a perfect fit. I used some brass body pins to hold those in place.
The next set I build i think i will make a threaded top plate to sandwich the chassie, so I'm not relying on the body post .
Here's one I have on the side burner. Not in a big hurry to get it done just poke at it here and there. Im not sure if I want the motor in the front or back yet. I'll post up progress pictures if you all care to follow along. May take a year or so to get it finished. I present to you the birth of dragster boy. Sam/Skillet